Know The Dangers When It Comes To Grilling This Summer!
With the start grilling season finally upon us, here are a few things know to keep you and your family safe.
- July is the peak month for grill fires (18%), including both structures, outdoor or unclassified fires, followed by June (15%), May (13%) and August (12%).
- The grill had not been cleaned in more than one-quarter (29%) of the home grill structure fires.
- The leading area of origin for structure fires involving grills was an exterior balcony or open porch, and 44 percent of the property damage from grill structure fires resulted from fires that started there.
- Five of every six grills involved in home fires were fueled by gas (84 percent), while 12 percent used charcoal or another solid fuel.
- Gas grills were involved in an average of 8,900 home fires per year. Leaks or breaks were primarily a problem with gas grills.
- Charcoal or other solid-fueled grills were involved in 1,300 home fires per year.
Always make sure to watch the grill. It only takes a second to turn a great day into a nightmare!