Here to Help Your Holiday Nightmare!
With Halloween right around the corner, it time to start planning for the holiday season. The holiday season is the time of the year to gather with family and friends. Holiday meals can bring cheer with uncle Daunte's homemade pie, grandma’s famous sweet potatoes casserole, or any favorite holiday dish. However, cooking is the main cause of home fires and injuries, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Review these cooking safety tips to help ensure you have a safe holiday cooking experience.
- NEVER leave cooking food unattended. Turn off the stove, even if you think you will be right back in the kitchen.
- Check the food regularly while cooking and use a timer.
- Keep small children away from the cooking area.
- Keep flammables (pot holders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels, and bags) away from the stove, oven, or other appliances that generate heat in the kitchen.
- Prevent grease build-up by cleaning cooking surfaces regularly.
- Purchase and keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen.
- Install smoke alarms in your home.
If the unthinkable happens and fire strikes your home this holiday season, contact your local heroes at SERVPRO of Austin & Albert Lea. We wish you a safe and happy holiday season.