SERVPRO of Austin & Albert Lea Suggests We Prepare to Evacuate with Our Pets
September is National Preparedness Month
We all need to be prepared for disasters every month. September is the designated month for reminding us to be ready for disaster such as fires, tornadoes and other storms, floods, or other disasters.
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) wants everyone to be ready to take care of themselves, employees, and family members in a disaster. They know how we feel about our pets, so FEMA includes them as family members.
Be ready to:
- Evacuate or shelter at home after a disaster
- Escape from a fire or flood
- Keep the family together
Planning for the Pets
Even without a looming disaster, it’s a good idea to have current identification on your pet(s). An outdated phone number won’t help.
SERVPRO® of Austin & Albert Lea provides expert cleaning, disinfecting, and restoration after any disaster.When it comes to emergency planning, we rely on the expertise of others.
We have learned:
- Microchip your pet(s). Microchips don’t get lostRegister the microchip with the manufacturer and keep your contact information up to date with the microchip company.
- Keep a leash/harness and/or a carrier near the exit.
- Have proper equipment for pets to ride in the car.
- Prepare a Pet Disaster Kit.
- Keep copies of veterinary records.
- Identify pet-friendly lodgings or arrange with friends to board your pets.
- Keep emergency veterinary information in your contacts.
- If you have plan for where to evacuate, locate veterinary care.
- Practice evacuating with pets. Know their hiding places.
When You Need SERVPRO of Austin & Albert Lea
Call us at 507-396-6644. Emergency service is available 24 hours/day, no matter what the day.
We will remove evidence of smoke, soot, and fire damage, extract water, and restore your home to something as good as the preloss condition.
Count on us to:
- Clean the building and belongings
- Disinfect the building and belongings
- Extract any water
- Remove odors from soot, smoke, mold
- Restore damaged materials
Scouts all over the world have “Be prepared” for their mottos. Other mottos are helpful too.
Brownies (before Scouts): Lend a hand
Cub scouts (before Scouts): Do your best
Future Farmers of America: Learning to Do, Doing to Learn, Earning to Live, Living to Serve
State of Iowa: Our liberties we prize and our rights we will maintain
State of Minnesota: The Star of the North
SERVPRO of Austin & Albert Lea
Call us at 507-396-6644. We’re always prepared to help.